About Our Department
The Winona-Butler Fire Department (original name) was officially incorporated on June 28, 1956 in the State of Ohio. It was and is considered a Private Fire Company. The name was officially changed in 1996 to the Winona Fire Department and today it is a 501(c)(4) tax exempt entity under IRS regulations.
Construction on the current site of the Department started in 1959 and was completed in 1960; it was a concrete building 60 by 40 feet, containing four bays. The building had a flat roof. A pitched roof was added to the original building in April of 1984. Then in 1999, an additional two bays were added to the north after the Paul Gorman property was acquired. Vinyl siding for the entire building was added that year also. In 2003, a meeting room was constructed behind the original building. A new restroom and a laundry were added in 2008 following the installation of the sewer lines in the Village of Winona. An office area and radio room were added in 2010 within the building; other improvements are on-going.
Today, the Winona Fire Department contracts with the Butler and Salem Township Trustees to provide fire protection (primarily from Georgetown Road to State Route 45-about 32 square miles). Both areas have approved two-mill tax levies to financially support this protection.